When the first crisp night hits at the end of summer, some people start pulling out the fall décor with blissful thoughts of pumpkin-spiced anything and the ever-glorious sweater weather season. But if you know you know: A long knitted cardigan offers much more versatility to your personal styling so don’t keep it in the closet until fall. So we explain how to get the most out of the cardigans you love all year round.
Versatility of a Women’s Open-Front Cardigan
Your favorite cardigan can be a versatile wardrobe piece that you can wear year-round with the right styling. Here's how you can make the most of its versatility throughout the seasons:
- Spring: In spring, opt for lightweight and breathable knit cardigans in pastel or muted colors. Pair them with floral dresses, skirts, or jeans for a transitional look. Layer your cardigan over a sleeveless or short-sleeved blouse for added warmth on cooler days.
- Summer: Choose lightweight open-knit or crochet cardigans for summer. These are great as beach cover-ups or to provide a bit of warmth in the evenings. Wear your cardigan over a tank top and shorts or as a swimsuit cover-up for a beach day.
- Fall: Fall is the perfect season for chunky, cozy cardigans. Layer them over long-sleeved tops or turtlenecks for extra warmth. Pair your cardigan with jeans and ankle boots or a maxi denim skirt for a classic fall look.
- Winter: Thick cable-knit or wool cardigans are excellent for winter. They can be worn as outerwear or as layering pieces under coats. Style your cardigan with leggings, maxi skirts, and knee-high boots for a stylish winter outfit.
Long cardigans are ideal for year-round layering. They work well over a variety of tops, from camisoles to t-shirts, blouses, and sweaters. You can experiment with different textures and lengths to create interesting layered looks that work great no matter what month it is.
Consider these styling options:
- Belted styling: Cinch your cardigan with a belt to create a flattering silhouette. This can add a touch of elegance and structure to your outfit, regardless of the season.
- Monochromatic looks: Wearing a long cardigan in the same color as the rest of your outfit can elongate your silhouette and create a chic, year-round ensemble.
- Transition pieces: Use long cardigans as transitional pieces between seasons. They can add warmth when it's chilly and be easily removed as the weather warms up.
- Accessorize: Accessorize your long cardigan with scarves, statement necklaces, or belts to change up your look and adapt it to different seasons.
The key to wearing a long knitted cardigan year-round is selecting the right fabric and weight for the season and adapting your layers and accessories accordingly. Whether you're looking for a cozy winter staple or a lightweight summer layer, a long cardigan can be a versatile addition to your wardrobe.
Do Women’s Open-Front Cardigans Look Good on All Body Types?
Long cardigans can be flattering on various body types, but the key is to choose the right style and fit to accentuate your best features and create a balanced look. Here are some tips for wearing long cardigans on different body types:
- Hourglass body type (curvy): Long cardigans can emphasize your curves while providing a slimming effect. Opt for cardigans that cinch at the waist or add a belt to define your hourglass shape. Avoid overly bulky or boxy styles that might hide your natural curves.
- Pear-shaped body type (hips and thighs wider than shoulders): Long cardigans can help balance your proportions by drawing attention upward. Choose cardigans that hit mid-thigh or longer to elongate your upper body. A V-neck or open-front cardigan can draw attention to your upper half.
- Apple-shaped body type (wider midsection): Long cardigans that flow away from the body can create a flattering, elongating effect. Look for cardigans with an A-line silhouette to help create the illusion of a narrower waist. Avoid cardigans that are too tight around the midsection.
- Rectangle body type (straight up and down): Long cardigans can add curves and visual interest to a rectangular body shape. Choose cardigans with texture, patterns, or details like pockets to create the illusion of curves. Cinch the cardigan with a belt at the waist to add definition.
- Petite body type (short stature): Opt for long cardigans that are not too overwhelming in length. Choose styles that hit just above the knee or mid-thigh. Monochromatic looks, where the cardigan matches the rest of your outfit, can create a streamlined appearance.
- Tall body type: Tall individuals can pull off longer cardigans, including duster-length styles, without looking overwhelmed. Experiment with various cardigan lengths, from mid-thigh to ankle-length, to find what works best for your height.
- Plus-size body type: Long cardigans can be very flattering for plus-size individuals. Look for cardigans with a relaxed fit and avoid those that are overly tight or clingy. Dark-colored cardigans can have a slimming effect.
- Athletic body type (muscular build): Long cardigans can soften the look of muscular shoulders and arms. Choose cardigans with draping or flowy fabric to create a more feminine silhouette.
Ultimately, the key to looking good in a long cardigan is finding a style that complements your body type and makes you feel confident and comfortable. It's also essential to pay attention to the fit, proportion, and styling details to achieve a flattering and balanced look. Don't be afraid to experiment with different styles and accessories to create outfits that suit your unique body shape and personal style.
Cardigan Styling Trends
Cardigans are versatile and timeless pieces of clothing that can be styled in various ways to suit different trends and seasons. Here are some trends and styling ideas for long cardigans:
- Oversized silhouettes: Oversized and slouchy cardigans offer a cozy, relaxed look that can be layered over fitted tops or dresses.
- Earth tones: Neutral and earthy colors like beige, camel, and olive green give a warm and natural appearance to long cardigans.
- Belted cardigans: Cinching a long cardigan with a belt at the waist adds structure and a touch of elegance to the outfit. It helps define the silhouette and can be a flattering option.
- Chunky knits: Thick, chunky knitted cardigans are perfect for colder weather. They add texture and warmth to your ensemble and look great with jeans and boots.
- Layering: Long cardigans are excellent layering pieces. You can wear them over turtlenecks, button-down shirts, or even other sweaters for a cozy, textured look.
- Duster-length cardigans: Extra-long cardigans, often referred to as dusters, are in style. They can be worn as a statement piece or as an outer layer over dresses or leggings.
- Monochromatic looks: Pairing a long cardigan in the same color family as the rest of your outfit creates a chic and elongating effect. This trend is particularly flattering.
- Casual to formal: Long cardigans can be dressed up with heels and tailored pants or dressed down with sneakers and jeans, making them versatile for various occasions.
Remember that personal style and comfort are key when wearing a long knitted cardigan. You can adapt any trend to your individual taste and comfort, creating outfits that reflect your unique fashion sensibilities. No matter how you style it, a long cardigan is a versatile staple to any wardrobe.