Spring is in the air, and with that comes a feeling of change, and FRESHNESS! This typically produces an overwhelming feeling of organizing and cleaning mode at my house, especially in the clothes closets! The children outgrow things so quickly, and with the drastic change of seasons in Minnesota it is a great time to assess those wardrobes! CLOSET PURGE! This does take upfront time and effort, but the lasting rewards make it SO worth it!
Taking the time now to get that closet in shape, will help you know what you need for the upcoming season, and have a stress free experience for all when choosing your clothes! Let’s get organized!!
1. Set the Scene.
Set the scene and yourself up for success. Block off a few hours to dedicate to this task. Get some music playing, or a good audio book! Light a candle and get your biggest water glass filled (coffee is a bonus). Get a bucket with warm water and a wet + dry rag handy, a vacuum, and have garbage bags or cardboard boxes for items. Also, a tote for seasonal clothes if necessary.
2. Closet Clean-Out
Literally. Take EVERY SINGLE item out of your closet. NO EXCEPTIONS! It is really easy to not do this step exactly, but it is SO important. Once your entire closet is out, it will be harder to put items back in and help you choose the BEST pieces to keep! Take all of the hanging items and lay on your bed, and stack any other items on the bedroom floor in like item piles!
Wipe out every shelf, nook and cranny in your closet. Vacuum that floor, and change that lightbulb if needed.
3. Choose your best, and donate the rest!
First things first, say it with me now,...Less is MORE, Simplify your life, only JOY! Hold each item up and ask yourself the following questions to help you decide if it is closet worthy!
- Do I LOVE how it makes me feel when I wear it, does it bring me JOY!?
- Does it fit me TODAY and do I LOVE how it fits me? (take the time to try it on to see!)
- Have I wore it in the past year (DO NOT let Covid be an excuse!).
- Do I have something to pair this with?
- Is it in a current wearable condition (or is it ripped, stained, button off)? A great question to ask for this situation is - would a local donation center take this or could I even sell this on a garage sale? (Donation centers do not take ripped, stained, holes in it, really worn items, so why do YOU still have it in your closet ;-)). IT HAS TO GO!
- Less is MORE, Simplify, JOY!
The items you took out will then be sorted into the following categories.
- Donate/Consignment Shop/Garage Sale/Sell It Site
- Throw away
- KEEP! Less is MORE, Simplify, JOY!
4. Put seasonal items in storage
If you live somewhere with seasons like we do, you may have items that you will not even touch in the next 4-6 months! Feel free to pack them in a tote, OR move to another closet in the house (or an ugly Christmas sweater... the back of your closet it goes!) to visually get them out of the way! OR stop the seasonal change and choose versatile pieces that transition into every season!
5. Organize the JOY items!
6. Decide where your “donation” bin should go
This step can not be missed, and take care of it ASAP! Set up an appointment at a local consignment shop, bring the items to a donation center, or get some gals together and host a garage sale! The sooner these items are out of the house, the better. No second guessing your gut instinct. It was the right decision.
Less is MORE + Simplify + ONLY JOY = YOUR CLOSET
Items to help your closet get organized:
These non-slip velvet hangers save SO much room in your closet and help maximize your space. It is also SO visually appealing for an organized look + feel!
More incentive to get that closet cleaned...
Win a closet refresh! $250 Inherit Gift Card towards your NEW CLEAN CLOSET wardrobe!
How to enter: Submit a before/after photo to us via email at email@example.com, or in our Inherit Insider | Shop Joy Facebook Page on our before April 13th, 2021. Winner will be chosen at random and announced April 15th LIVE on the App!