Whether you’re going to a formal party, or wedding, or out for a sophisticated date night, special occasions call for elegant modest dresses. Because these occasions are so unique and special, you want to be sure you find the right dress that offers the best fit and function but matches the tone of the event.
If you’ve been searching for modest dresses, you’ve likely noticed a lot of different styles and prints, and probably need help narrowing down the best fit for you. So this post covers some of the details to keep in mind when looking for modest dresses that match the mood for your next elegant occasion.
Long Modest Dresses: Midi vs. Maxi
The first thing most people think of when dressing for elegant occasions is looking for long modest dresses, but you may have noticed that long can mean more than just one simple measurement. Most long dresses can be arranged into two lengths: midi and maxi. The main difference between the two lies in their length, specifically where they fall on the wearer's legs.
A midi dress typically falls between the knee and ankle, covering a portion of the calf. The exact length can vary, but it generally hits below the knee and above the ankle. Midi dresses are known for their versatility and can be suitable for various occasions, offering a balance between a shorter and longer dress. Suitable for both formal and casual affairs, a midi-length dress can offer a bit more flexibility in your wardrobe.
A maxi dress, on the other hand, is characterized by its longer length, typically extending all the way to the floor or brushing the tops of your shoes. Maxi dresses are known for their floor-length design, providing a more flowing and elegant look. Although they are associated with formal styles, certain fabrics, such as jersey, can make maxi dresses a more casual look.
The choice between a midi dress and a maxi dress can depend on several factors, including the occasion, your personal style, and body type. Here are some considerations to help you decide which length is best suited to your needs:
- Midi dresses are versatile and can work well for a wide range of occasions. They are often seen as a balance between casual and formal, making them suitable for both everyday wear and semi-formal events, such as a party or special date night.
- Maxi dresses are often associated with more formal or special occasions due to their longer and more elegant silhouette. They are commonly chosen for events like weddings and evening parties.
- Midi dresses can be flattering on various body types. The length provides an opportunity to wear a variety of footwear and allows for easy movement. It can also be a versatile choice for those who want a dress that is not too short or too long, which can be a benefit for those with shorter frames.
- Maxi dresses can elongate the silhouette and offer a flowy, effortless look. They can be especially flattering for taller individuals, but with the right styling, they can complement various body shapes.
- Midi dresses are great for individuals who prefer a more balanced and versatile look. They can be easily dressed up or down, depending on what accessories and footwear you pair with them.
- Maxi dresses are ideal for those who enjoy a more dramatic and elegant style. They provide an opportunity to make a statement that suits the occasion. If you want a dress that is truly special to mark a specific moment, maxi lengths may not be as versatile as midi dresses, but they maintain a uniqueness that reflects how special the event is to you.
Sleeve Choices and Floral Prints for Women’s Modest Dresses
Although length is certainly a factor, you may have never realized how the right sleeve and print can impact the style of modest dresses. Although many women have a staple black dress in their closet, more elegant affairs call for something more special, and you have an array of floral prints and varying sleeve choices that can help you put the finishing touch on your look.
Solid colors can certainly fit formal occasions, especially with the right fabric choices, but some women enjoy having prints for special events. When it comes to prints, however, florals can be both absolutely elegant as well as fabulously feminine. When chosen and styled thoughtfully, long modest dresses in floral prints can add a touch of sophistication to an outfit.
Here are some tips on how to ensure your floral prints appear elegant:
- Choose subdued colors: Floral prints in subdued and sophisticated color palettes offer a softer, more feminine touch that pairs well with elegant affairs. Neutral tones, deep hues, or muted pastels can contribute to a refined, formal look.
- Select a dark background: Floral prints on a dark background tend to exude a more luxurious and elegant feel. Darker backgrounds, such as navy, black, or deep burgundy, provide a rich backdrop for the floral pattern.
- Consider the size of the print: Smaller and more tightly spaced floral prints often appear more elegant than larger, more vibrant patterns. Delicate and intricate floral designs can contribute to a sophisticated aesthetic.
- Accessorize minimally: Keep accessories minimal and choose classic pieces to avoid overwhelming the floral print. Use neutral or metallic accessories that complement the color scheme.
When aiming for a modest yet elegant look for an occasion, both short- and long-sleeve styles can be tastefully incorporated into long modest dresses. Consider how the styles of different sleeves might influence your choice for different occasions.
When it comes to short-sleeve styles, you can choose from:
- Short puff sleeves: Puff sleeves that are short and have a subtle volume can contribute to an elegant and refined appearance. They add a hint of sophistication without being overly dramatic.
- Elbow-length sleeves: Sleeves that reach the elbows provide more coverage while still allowing for a comfortable and modest look. This length is versatile and suitable for various elegant occasions.
- Bishop sleeves: Bishop sleeves are loose-fitting sleeves that gather at the wrists. They can be short or three-quarter length, providing a stylish and modest option for an elegant dress.
When looking for long-sleeve styles, you can choose from:
- Full-length sleeves: Full-length sleeves that extend to the wrists offer maximum coverage and are particularly suitable for more formal events. They create a polished and sophisticated appearance.
- Bell sleeves: Bell sleeves flare out at the wrists, adding a touch of drama and elegance to the dress. This style can be modest while making a subtle statement.
- Lantern sleeves: Lantern sleeves are voluminous sleeves that taper towards the wrists. They offer a unique and stylish look, providing coverage while maintaining a sense of elegance.
- Three-quarter sleeves: Sleeves that reach three-quarters of the way down the arm are a versatile and modest option. They strike a balance between short and long sleeves, making them suitable for various occasions.
- Cuffed sleeves: Cuffed sleeves, with a tailored cuff at the wrist, can add a polished touch to a dress. They offer coverage while maintaining a structured and refined appearance.
If you want to find the best modest dresses for women that can be worn to formal and elegant events, look no further than Inherit Clothing Company. With a wide array of long modest dresses that come in midi and maxi lengths as well as a range of prints and sleeve choices, you’re sure to find the perfect fit for your next special occasion.